Abbey Fields

UK»England»Warwickshire»Abbey Fields

Kenilworths main park is set in the dramatic valley of the Finham Brook and enjoys views of the historic town, the castle and the parish church. Grassy slopes, the lake, historic buildings, old trees and hedges recall Abbey Fields past, the farmland of St Marys Abbey, whose ruins adjoin the park. Follow the Kenilworth Abbey trail from the Barn or ramble around the park and stroll along the brook and round the lake where you can watch the bird life and feed the ducks. Enjoy the swimming pools, especially the heated outdoor pool which is open during the summer months. There is fun for children of all ages in the up to date play area and the open grassy areas off Forrest Road and Castle Road are ideal for kite flying. Play tennis or bowls or just enjoy a cup of tea in the park.

TypeOverall vote
Earthwork castle:3.5/10
Popularity rank: #287
Warwickshire, England, Great Britain, UK, Europe
Abbey Of St Mary, Abbey Fields Swimming Pool, Augustinian Priory, Abbey Fields Outdoor Pool


  • All
  • Related
  • Same

Abbey Fields Outdoor Pool

There is a main 25m x 10m indoor pool and an outdoor pool. The main pool offers public swimming, school swimming, aquafit, swimming lessons for adults and children, children’s parties and galas. It is also the home of Kenilworth Swimming Club and the highly successful Kenilworth Masters Swimming Club.
A poolside sauna is available during all public swimming times. Cafe facilities are available during most public sessions.

Opening times (May - September):
9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
12:00 PM - 5:40 PM
10:00 AM - 6:00 PM10:00 AM - 6:00 PM10:00 AM - 6:00 PM10:00 AM - 6:00 PM10:00 AM - 6:00 PM9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
12:00 PM - 5:40 PM

AdultChild / ConcessionFamily

The Augustinian Priory and Abbey of St Mary

An Augustinian Priory in Kenilworth was founded between 1123 and 1129 by Geoffrey de Clinton, at the same time as he built the castle. Geoffrey de Clinton founded the Priory as a spiritual act of gratitude, in response to being given the land on which to build the castle. In 1447 Kenilworth Priory was raised to the status of abbey, possibly due to its connections with the crown. The Augustinian Abbey at Kenilworth became one of the wealthiest in the country. By the 16th century, 17 churches in the area were held by Kenilworth Abbey, the largest number for any abbey in the county. The once great Abbey covered a large area, though only two significant structures above ground are still visible today. One of which now houses a small museum.



Entrances on Abbey Hill, Forrest Road, Castle Road, High Street and Bridge Street.


No.12, 112: Travel West Midlands. No. 539, 540, 541, 543: Johnsons of Henley. No. X12, X16, X17, X18: Stagecoach


Kenilworth buses from Coventry rail station and Leamington Spa town centre.


Free car park off Bridge Street. Limited on-street parking in High Street and Forrest Road.


Opening times:

Never closes




Post your opinion on this place


Ask your questions


Address: Warwick District Council, Riverside House, Milverton Hill, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, CV32 5HZ, UK.
Phone: +44 1926 450 000

External links

Latest Questions:
Inspire Me
©2007-2014 Home | About | Errors | Omissions | Sitemap | Kudos | Help