The Italian Chapel was built by Italian prisoners of war captured in Africa during World War II. The prisoners were stationed on the island between 1942 and 1945 to help in construction of the Churchill Barriers at Scapa Flow.
Exterior of the Italian Chapel, Orkney, Scotland. The chapel was built out of limited materials by Italian prisoners during World War II
The chapel was constructed from two Nissen huts joined end-to-end. The corrugated interior was then covered with plasterboard and the altar and altar rail were constructed from concrete left over from work on the barriers.
Today the chapel remains a popular tourist attraction, receiving over 100,000 visitors every year. It has become one of the best-known and moving symbols of reconciliation in the British Isles.